The faculty studies located on Trexler Library's C Level are intended to support professional study and writing. Activities such as consulting, advising, and routine classroom preparations are not considered appropriate use of faculty studies.
Each study is approximately 80 square feet (8' x 10') and has a telephone for local calls only. The desk unit includes a reference shelf, three drawers, and a task light. Other furnishings include an adjustable armchair on casters and a Muhlenberg armchair. Faculty may also place a request for a computer through OIT.
Faculty may request a study for a single semester, summer session, a full academic year, or for an entire calendar year.
Note: Any additional faculty studies which are not assigned during a given period may also be available for use on a short-term basis. Inquiries concerning the availability of short-term use should be requested through the Library Director. Contact the Library Administrative Assistant with any short-term use requests.
Applications for use of the faculty studies will be reviewed by the Library Committee according to the following criteria:
- Applicant must be a full-time or part-time member of the Muhlenberg College faculty, or an Emeritus Professor.
- Applicant must be engaged in, or beginning, a project involving scholarly research and/or writing extending beyond a few weeks.
- Faculty are discouraged from applying for the sole purpose of needing office space.
Regulations for Use
- Access to studies is available whenever Trexler Library is open.
- Trexler Library materials in faculty studies must be checked out by the faculty member at the Lending Services Desk.
- Researchers assume responsibility for safeguarding their own materials.
- Researchers assume responsibility for maintaining studies in such a manner that they may be regularly cleaned by maintenance personnel.
- With the exception of the Library, OIT, and Plant Operations staff, no other persons will be allowed access to the faculty studies except in the company of study holder or appropriate library staff member.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Near the end of each semester, the Library Director will send an announcement requesting that interested faculty submit their applications. The Library Committee will then review and approve the applications, and those approved will be assigned a faculty study by the Library Administrative Assistant.
Should the number of eligible applicants exceed the number of studies, the Library Committee may request that faculty share a study.